Ouch!

I was feeling pretty good. I thought I could finally win a game. I stretched, warmed up and got myself psyched out. I felt even a little cocky. I had swagger. I looked hard at my 14 year old daughter Jordan  and said, "today, I am going to beat you 21-0."

Jordan smiled ear to ear and gazed at me as if I was a little tipsy or something. She simply replied,"ok."

She took an early lead 6-0, by hitting 3 three point shots in a row. I know, you are saying three 3s should be 9 points. Well, at home, our games are by 1s and 2s for the 3s.

I decided it was time to up my defense and close out on her. No more 3s I swore. I was in her face denying the three point shot. She drove past me, I ran to follow and then Jordan did a quick and sneaky back step, popping behind the line and hitting another three pointer. I almost tripped and fell down trying to snap back at her. It's called "breaking the ankles." She got me good and laughed out loud.

I was down 8-0. Ok, I thought. I am not winning 21-0, but I was still determined to win, or at least come in a close second place.

The game got heated. I caught up, eventually getting the score to 17-16. Jordan was still winning, but I was in it. We were going hard.

I took a shot to tie it up, the ball hit the rim and flew away from the back board. I sprinted to get the ball and BANG, my left ankle felt like Jordan stepped on it with all of her weight. No, it wasn't her; she was ahead of me grabbing the rebound. As I was crashing to the floor, I thought the entire hoop must have collapsed on my leg and I heard something in my left ankle area "pop."

I grabbed my painful leg and noticed that the hoop was still in tact. The reality hit; I had just ruptured my Achilles tendon. Oh no!

I lost the game 17-16, as I had no one to substitute in for me. This happened last night. I won't get a rematch for at least 4 months.



vincentpravato.com

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog